2013 – Tasmania

It is a good idea to visit the local people, rather than try to believe another caravan that got caught and has a wicked sense of humour.

 Going downhill is better than pushing uphill as experienced on the trip to Glenn Innes from Grafton

The following is the plot from Burnie to Hobart. Better to go anti-clockwise, as more downhill.

Burnie to Hobart


Direction of Travel

So you may ask which is the best way to go – clockwise or anticlockwise.

With a 21ft van behind, Lorraine did not want to have to push “The Lodge” uphill, with the water tanks being full and possibly overflowing onto the road


So you may ask which is the best way to go – clockwise or anticlockwise.

For a comparison Grafton to Glen Innes has the following inclination which we have tackled previously.  Rises nearly 900 metres in 20 kM

Grafton to Glenn Innes

Reaching the Spirit of Tasmania

Left Thursday morning to get on the ferry by 7.30pm on Saturday the 2 February 2013. 

Not working has its advantages – not having to hurry at the last minute.

Had booked the ferry in October 2012 so that we were able to go when we wanted.

Not being able to get leave approved (no annual leave, long service, sick leave or flexi’s) does not mean you do not have to plan.

Forgot to plan the dentist though.  20 Km from Nhill, a filling fell out, 2 simple PK’s is all it took.

Stopped at the Nhill Caravan Park and because Lorraine looks !!!, we got Seniors Discount and only had to pay $20 for the night.

Now to try to find a dentist in Stawell or Ballarat.  Tried Horsham but no luck. 

On Saturday we weaved our way over the Westgate Bridge to Station Pier by 1.00 pm and so had to wait to get on the ferry.  Found it easy to park prior to the ferry along The Boulevard, which is the road in from the freeway..  No parking fees unlike others that paid $22.


After the ferry left Port Melbourne the Police started looking for a suspect looking person


The Police Helicopter appeared – who were they searching for ?


Look who they found sipping hot chocolate


Uneventful night on the ferry except for sitting outside with the 2 drunks until about 11.00 pm.  People you meet, I can hear you Popey, “stop talking to people”, but I have not found anyone I know.  Not yet anyway.

 Thinking about starting a new page for funny stories. No sea sickness for either of us.  Think I got no more than 3 hours sleep but all was good as we stopped for coffee about 9.00 am the next morning.

Once we got through the fruit police in Devonport after 3 hours sleep, woken at 5.00 am and then driving to Franklin, we found our way to friends, that Lorraine worked with Pam back in 1969.  The live on a property overlooking the Huon River.


Lorraine, John and Pam


Looking across the river


The view from the verandah looking down the Huon River


Had to put the Navara into 4 wheel drive to get it into the right spot overlooking the Huon River


Monday 4 February – Tuesday 5 February

Yesterday was a day to go and see Huonville and investigate the Wooden Boat Centre.  The were making an Irish boat.  Lorraine wanted to know if they constructed in the water rather than a workshop.  It was actually made in the workshop and then covered in fabric.  Sounds like an old tram upside down.


They also have projects where a person sponsors the craft and then a group of seven people build it over seven weeks.  Cost approx $7000.   Built using traditional methods similar to the Vikings and using copper washers and spikes.   Clinker construction using Huon Pine.


Tuesday was off to do the Airwalk out in the forest from Geeveston.  Lorraine wanted to hug the tree.


She did enjoy the swing bridge but not once she was half way across and then it started to swing.


It was then off to the cantilever section


The views were exciting from the cantilever platform when it was swaying in the breeze


It was also good viewing from the walkways.


Wednesday 6 February

Today was our cultural day

We visited the Royal Hobart Botanical Gardens.  Lorraine is into looking at plants and Gavin has to follow.  The gardener was a little surprised when asked if secateurs could be used during our visit.


Can you spot the bee


Do you know the name of this


Looking down over the Derwent


Japanese tourists do visit the Japanese Garden


Mount Wellington seems to follow you where ever you go


Thursday 7 February

Today was supposed to be a day to go to Dover (not the white cliffs) and also to Southport and further south.

We made it to Dover and were having a nice pizza when our day was wrecked.

Reported fire south of Franklin !!! Great just 500 metre from the place the van was parked.  Headed back quickly to be stopped and waited for 1 hour before being in a position to see the house and van from the road and no black ground near it.

Salmon pens north of Dover, but unable to purchase any.


Same as tuna pens but different fish.


Got close before stopping.  Caravan in the middle.


Then we headed north for the smoke.  The following photos were taken from Pam and Johns balcony.


Lots of smoke but not many flames were visible.


Maybe this is where it started !!


Very impressed with the country fire service – me thinks too close for comfort.

Still watching the water bucket 2 hours after we got back.

Friday 8 February

Today was Hobart and car day.

Car day involved dropping the Navara off to the Nissan Dealer to have the cooling system checked out, turned out to be the overflow tank pressure cap.  We were  both very pleased.  It has to come from Melbourne.

Went to the IXL factory to look around and see the stuff, then off to the Wooden Boat Festival.  Good downhill walk  and then back up the hill to the Nissan dealer.

Bought a new cap and stuff from some old friends.  Bad luck they only had one.


Rekindled some memories from a trip across Bass Strait in 2004

Found a nut on the wharf from the Windeward Bound which was at Deal Island in 2004.  Guess what its name is


Popey probably got it right – Captain Sarah who started off life as a boy


Then I found a nice speedboat for $30000


They even have seals in the harbor.


Saturday 9 February

Down South today, did not get there the other day

Good scenery through the forests to get to various places.

Southport was the first place.


Some very nice houses.


Then off to Cockle Creek beach


Then off to Ida Bay to see the little railway.


Small railcar was cute


Went to Hastings Caves and had lunch.


Went down to the thermal pool and came across this lady – seems to pop up everywhere


Was going to take some photos down at the thermal pool, saw a lady in a bikini with boyfriend and thought he might get out the pool and chase me.

Sunday 10 February – Tuesday 12 February

Drove the coast road from Huonville up to Cygnet – Woodbridge – Kettering – Kingston.  Went anti clockwise.


Went to Peppermint Bay for lunch.  Very nice place


Another good place to paddle


Saw some cows having a party


We were on our way to Bruny Island when we were advised that the cap had arrived at the Nissan dealer.  Decided to stop at Snug and go into Hobart tomorrow.

Saw a good way of storing boats at Snug


Maybe the person that built it was expecting a high tide.


Snug – Good place to stay so we are here for 3 nights.  Caravan park is around the corner.


Thursday 14 February

Today we thought we would go to Mt Wellington.  Good plan, wrong day.  Got towards Hobart and could not even see the thing.  Not to be out done,  up we went.  The wind and sun will make it better – or so I thought.  Famous last words.

Nearly got to the top and the sun shone through.  Great we thought, should be good.  Looked good for a while.  Even the Japanese tourists were out and about.  Took our photo for us.  We are very cute – yes we are.

IMG_3179_2400 1600

The viewing did not get any better


Then the bad weather came in.


Even going down was still in the fog


So off we go to Kingston and have some lunch.  Sitting in the sun and possibly getting burnt.

Great we thought, do we go back up, no ! because even though Hobart is in sunlight, Mt Wellington is still in the clouds and not visible.

Friday 15 February

Today we left Snug to come to Bruny Island.  Kettering is where the ferry departs.  $65 return is not a bad price.


Went over the Neck to South Bruny.


Got to the Captain Cook Caravan Park at Adventure Bay and then went to the Berry Farm.  Great scenery sitting outside.


Great food- Blackberries, Strawberry, Blueberry, cream and Blueberry icecream


I think this is a great place to be


Saturday 16 February

Yellow boats are good to ride in – even though I do have a kayak.


Notice that the water is flat.  Conditions like this do not occur that often, or so they say.  Believe it or not.

The wildlife is interesting – sea eagle, eats fish and kangaroo


Previously saw a yellow boat when paddling close to this or should I say around it.


Every one in the front of the boat got wet when he accidentally got to close !!!


Further along the coast are “The Friars”  Looks like a great paddling location with friends.


The sea creatures are abundant down here.  Such a great spot.


The birds were fishing


Whilst the dolphins wanted to play


After the boat ride had finished (nearly 3 hours) we decide to go to Cloudy Bay


Another spot for paddling


Sunday 17 & Monday 18 February

Sunday was flora and fauna day.  Off to Cape Bruny to see the lighthouse and also Jetty Beach were I had previously kayaked.

Cloudy Bay and the Friars are also visible from the road leading to the lighthouse.

Cloudy Bay from Cape Bruny Lighthouse road

Off up the road and then up the path to the lighthouse


Found a path that took us over towards Southport


Came across the following Banksia


Thought the Grandsons had dropped one of their pets off


Then off to lunch and some good scenery


It just got better


So what else could I do but buy a couple of bottles of red.

Glad I went for a paddle on the Sunday afternoon as this is what it looked like from Dennes Point looking north towards Hobart on Monday morning.


Lorraine forced me to take her to the Bruny Island Smokehouse to buy some smoked Atlantic Salmon and Smoked Sardines with Chili.

Unfortunately the Nissan stopped outside the Bruny Island Cheese establishment.

Use by dates on the products mean they will not make it back to Adelaide.

Wednesday 20 February

Back at the Hobart Airport Hotel Caravan Park.  Port Arthur was the destination for today.  Lots of people and lots of things to do.  20 minute boat trip to see the various islands in the vicinity.  We were given a card to see a convict that had been sent / brought.

Mine was a convict William Collins.  Funny part is that my Great, Great, Grandfather was a Collins from Ireland.  Maybe related to a friend with the same surname.


Used his previous trade in the establishment


Then off in the ferry, for a trip around the harbour past the Isle of the dead.  Lots of convicts (1100) buried on the small plot of land


Then off on foot to visit the remains of many buildings – the Penitentiary



Then the Guard Tower


Then the Church


Nice Fountain in the Government Gardens


Cannot help myself – had the visit Tasman Arch and surrounds


Thursday 21 and Friday 22 February

Rode the Big Red Bus around Hobart whilst the Nissan was in the local dealers workshop.  Has to be investigated further so off it goes next Tuesday again.  Not to worry.

Even worse than the Nissan in Grafton, was the call I got from National Optical.  No, not a problem with my glasses that I got in January.  Oh no, worse than that, I won a 4 day pass for 2 people to the Clipsal 500 – Pit Straight with catering for the four days.  Pity we are in Tasmania and the race is on next weekend.  Even worse was the fact I could not give it to someone else, non transferable.


Opposite the spot the bus leaves from is a Hettich establishment


No whales were sighted but the Sea Shepherd was in port


To my surprise it looks like stobie poles can float – or migrate across Bass Strait


The old buildings survive the modern look trying to take over – the one way streets of Hobart are also a thing that Adelaide could learn from


Went past the brewery, but did not stop for samples


On Friday we went to Triabunna for lunch by the wharf.  Best fish and chips ever.  No fat dripping off them.


Looking down towards Maria Island – not a good day for paddling


So off to Swansea we go and discover not all people drive cars, he was trying to get home before the rain


Looking over towards Coles Bay looks like a great place to paddle on a nice day


On the way back we came across Spikey Bridge which was built by convicts in the early 1840’s


Saturday 23 February

Off to Strathgordon to see Lake Pedder and Lake Gordon.

Passed through Maydena where we stopped for a coffee.  The trees on the other side of the road far up the hill have been part of  the reforestry of the region and are harvested fifteen years later.  Because of the rainfall they grow about 3 metres a year.


Lorraine made me talk to the locals to find out whether the piece of Huon Pine in the corner of the cafe was cut down.


It is over 2200 years old.  They have even marked on it, when major events were taking place.  Like the Vikings invading England. It was not cut down, but surfaced from the bottom of the lake after it was flooded.  Trees were felled and this one popped to the surface.

The thing about Huon Pine is that water does not soak into it.


Then we proceeded to the highest point on the road during our trip to Lakes.  651 metres above sea level with an annual rainfall of 192 cm


Lake Pedder was flooded back in the 1972.  26 metre deep.  Sandy floor used to exist and light planes used to land on it.


Lake Gordon dam wall is 140 metres high and has faciliies for abseiling down it.  Workman travel down 2 a week,  but go down in this device at the top of the rails. The controls are Up – Down – Stop.  Travels at a speep of 5 to 6 kph


Long way down but easier than climbing the stairs.  Notice the rails on the left hand side.


This is looking down the valley towards the Gordon River.


Saturday 2 March

At last some success on the lost coolant.  Invented a new way of determining how much coolant was being pumped out.  Strap a bottle to the bull bar and put a vinyl pipe from the overflow into the bottle.  Previously I collected about 800 ml on one trip.

Nissan sent a new reservoir overnight, which meant the next afternoon due to the number of planes that come this way.

Drove around 270 km today with the caravan behind the Nissan and no coolant disappeared.

This means we can leave on Tuesday morning for Queenstown / Strahan.one trip.

Sunday 3 March

Monday will be the big shift.  From Hobart to Somerset.  Not England, but 6 km west of Burnie on the north coast of Tasmania.

The other day in Hobart we found the Cat and the Fiddle Arcade.


Next off to Richmond, which has lots of Antique shops plus the oldest bridge in Australia built in 1823


No problems with the car today so we can go down the west coast to Zeehan.

Monday 4 March

Caravan park at Somerset is a joy to behold.  Might be an old park but great people running it and great location.  Too late for a paddle today but may come back after Zeehan.


View from the top floor is magnificent.  Ideal for a retired couple.


The beach opposite the park is looking like a good spot to paddle from


Lorraine forced me to have a coffee in the caravan park shop to try to get me excited about what we can do in our back yard.  Could it turn out something like this.


Wednesday 6 Thursday 7 March

Shifted from Somerset to Zeehan (final test for the Nissan) which is only a distance of 150 km.

Great caravan park in a small town 40 km from Strahan.  Did not try  the caravan parks in Strahan and after driving there to book onto the World Heritage Cruise and the train from Queenstown, I was not disappointed.


Decided that the boat trip was going to be good after talking to some other travellers.

Thursday was going to be ALS day.  This stands for Air Land Sea Day.

Drive to Strahan and get onto the sea and go out to Hells Gate.  This is the site that convicts went to prior to Port Arthur being built.  Wold Heritage Cruises use a boat called the Eagle.


A sea wall was built, 5 meters wide and 5 metres deep  31 metres long to provide safe passage for ships passing into Macquarie Harbour (twice the area of Sydney Harbour).


Nice old building from the early days that are now shacks but have to be reached by boat.  Weekenders now have a different meaning.


Hells Gate must be a sight to behold during rough weather


Due to favourable conditions we were able to go outside the harbour towards Cape Sorell


Lighthouse used to warn ships, did not always work and many ship wrecks occurred.


Convicts could not escape and thus the name Hells Gate


Due to the water coming out of the Gordon River and in through Hells Gates they are able to have pens for Atlantic Salmon and freshwater Trout.


Sarah Island was used to house the convicts whilst they were cutting Huon Pine on the main part of the Island.  A pine pit was used to create pine for use by the convicts


They also had a wood oven to make the bread in for all the convicts


They also had a courthouse that was eventually used by the convicts to sleep in, after a new person was put in charge of the Island to build ships.


The next stop was into the rainforest area along the Gordon


This is in an area that would have been flooded if the Gordon / Franklin was dammed back in the 80’s


After a fabulous meal of Salmon / cold meats / salads/ cheeses we returned to the wharf area.  We had half an hour before we had to get into the air.


It was a highlight of the trip so far


We actually landed on the Franklin just up from where they had started to construct a camp for damming it.

Pontoon to walk onto


They have the area well set up – even a boardwalk to a waterfall – Sir John Falls


Flight took one and a half hours and the scenery was magnificent – Sarah Island from above


Silted entrance to the river system


A different perspective from above


Friday 9 to Sunday 10 March

Friday we spent exploring the Zeehan Museum for about 4 hours.  Contain items of interest from a collection of minerals from around the world to old trains used during the development of the mines.  The old picture theatre complete with the Ned Kelly movie running all the time.  Theatre still used for functions.

An old train that came from the Krauss & co. Munich in 1895 and operated until 1963 is on display.


On saturday we were going to head towards Derwent Bridge.  Had to go through Queenstown.  Gravel oval and still used for cricket and football.  A local lad said you just have to get used  to the jarring.  Also notice the track for bikes around the outside.


Steep hill to get out of Queenstown.  Looking back down the hill.


Just over the top of the hill is the Iron Blow where copper was first mined in 1892


“The Wall”.  Self funded (will be 300 metre) 1 metre by 3 metre high laminated Huon Pine carvings


Words cannot describe the way these carvings are finished.  Look at http://www.thewalltasmania.com/indexms.html

Then on to Lake Sinclair .  Looks like good hiking country where people get taken out by boat to start their trek.


Looks good for kayaking also


Also stopped at Nelson Falls.  After all we were in the middle of the rain Forest.


Sunday was train day when we went on the West Coast Wilderness Railway.  The West Coast pioneers who built the original railway in 1896 accomplished a great feat of labour. For many miles along the King River the railway line was hewn with pick and shovel out of the steep side of the gorge. Forty two bridges were built over the 22-mile long stretch of wilderness; for the ‘quarter mile’ bridge below the gorge, pylons had to be driven 60 feet into the silt with men constantly up to their waists in the cold water.


Authentically recreated with its many timber trestle bridges and the unique Abt rack and pinion system for the steep grades, the West Coast Wilderness Railway crosses the wild King River and climbs through sheer sided rainforest gorges.  Notice the rack under the front of the train


Parts of the old bridges are still visible even though they collapsed into the rivers


Even though the railway was set up for tourists it still pulls flat wagons with bee hives and also equipment maintenance out of the forests.


Tuesday 12 March

Before we left Zeehan we decided to drive out to Macquarie Heads and view the Hells Gate from the beach perspective.


Looks like another great spot for camping (not in a caravan park) and  then doing a spot of kayaking or fishing.  Does that mean I will have to learn how to fish.


Then we went to Trial Harbour where boats started coming in around 1881. The harbour was utilised for a short while during the establishment of the early mining communities of Zeehan , and Queenstown, prior to the establishment of the settlements and facilities at Strahan and Regatta point.


I think you would have to practice your surf landings to come into this beach.  Also not being worried about scratching your sea kayak would be desirable.


The remains of a whale is also on the beach, wired together.


Wednesday 13 March

Today was the day to really test the Nissan going back past Rosebery.  Very steep incline.  Well guess what happened.  No concentration and missed the turn off.  Ended up doing some extra km’s but saw some extraordinary scenery alongside some lakes.  In the end we came out on the other side of Rosebery and missed the steep gradient.  On booking into the caravan park, was informed the roads that were put in by the Hydro Commission all are like what we drove on – no steep gradients or sharp corners.

Thursday 14 March

Today we went to find a bulb garden/nursery.  Lorraine will need them for the garden she is planning.  So off to Wynyard to find Van Diemen Quality Bulbs.    None in flower as you all know that they flower in Spring.  But the place was open so away we came with a few paper bags of bulbs.  Not all Tulips.

To the end of Table Cape Road to take in the view back over Burnie.


The other direction looks over Table Cape.  Fields are covered with Tulips in Spring.


Then it was off to Stanley to look at The Nut.  Drove out and had lunch on the wharf.  Nice little place and then walked the street and looked in the craft shops.  Had a discussion about the sea kayak on top of the Nissan.  Owner was interested in the brand and how it paddled.

Went to Smithton to once again look around.

Lastly we went to Marrawah, which is Tassie’s big surf, big wave paradise is at Marrawah.  A record  west-coast wave was measured at 19.5 metres and the wind and surf roll  in uninterrupted for almost 17,000 kilometres.


Understandable when you look from another perspective.  Another spot for surf landings and also you can free camp about 100 metres from the beach.


Sunday 17 March 

Today we went to Burnie, Waratah, Cradle Mountain, Sheffield and Railton.  Shifted to Port Sorell yesterday.

At Burnie we went to Makers Mark which has artists making and selling the products they have made.

Paper Mache models are on display.


Whilst we were wandering around they changed into Ken and Janet Wehr, our friends from Adelaide.

Visited Waratah to view the waterfall in the middle of town.  Used to be a tin mine in the town.


Visited Cradle Mountain where Lorraine and Janet did appreciate the heater in the car.  It was cold.  A Swiss couple wanted to know if it was our summer, because he said cold really was minus 15.  Snow was a foot deep when he left home.


Think you would need to have some really warm gear for a paddle.


Pictures painted onto shop walls are interesting.


Also went to Railton to see the Topiary.


Some are still works in progress.  Cows need a bit of manure to green up.


The elephant has been fed well.  He likes to play with a ball in his trunk.


Even Anzac Day is relevant to the plant life.


Monday 18 March

Today would have been my mothers birthday but we could not find any dandy’s, her favourite ice cream.

Instead it was animal, mineral and fruit day.

We went to  couple of wineries (of course, and had to buy Lorraine some wine) in the Tamar Valley.  Covering the vines to stop the birds getting the grapes at Moores  Hill Vineyard. Met Ollie the dog, he features in the Australian Wineries Dog Album.


Then off to Beaconsfield to have a look around.  The mine collapse was back in 2006


Then off to Beauty Point for lunch.  Stopped opposite the Australian Maritime College.


I think they must be expecting very rough weather on the jetty.  Launching the boat from here would be interesting.


Then off to another winery Goaty Hill Vineyard for more tastings


At Holm Oak Vineyards they allowed us to feed the animals.


They even had apples to feed a horse.


Tuesday 19 March

The RED dot is where we are in Port Sorell.  We went to the EAST.


Even the bridges are interesting.  The cable support the first half of the span over the river.  Getting from Beaconsfield to Georgetown.


Georgetown on the northern coast has an artist that is using a chainsaw and old trees for his art.  Has to put some additional timber in to make some of the whale hang together.


Interesting in what you can do.  Even the penguins get to appear


Good place to paddle if the tide is in.  This goes out into Bass Strait.


Bridport has the remains of an old jetty that was built in 1916 and burnt down in 1938


Scottsdale has an interesting building that houses Forestry Tasmania.  Supposed to be warmer in winter and cooler in summer.


Then it was off to Launceston to see the Cataract Gorge.  The swing bridge  is not as good as some as it does not swing far enough for my liking.


Lorraine was even able to feed the Peacock.  He would only eat the apple if it was in small pieces.


Sunday 24 – 28 March

Sunday the 24 March we left Port Sorell for Mathinna.  This town is an old Gold Mining town from the 1890’s.  Exploration has taken place recently and the old mine may re-open.

Stayed on a friend property which is an old Catholic Church from the 1890’s.


Camped behind the Church

IMG_5088-camp site

Sunrise from the back of the van

IMG_5030-church sunrise

We stayed in Mathinna for 5 nights and even went to the Mathinna Country Club.  Essentially it is a bar that is staffed by the one person, Cynthia, 7 days a week from 4.00 pm to 7.30 pm.  It was interesting to hear about the local history.

IMG_5085-country club

There are no shops really as the only other place acts as the Post Office.  However the following photo shows the charm of the place.  Still lived in as shown by the open door

IMG_5089-mathinna charm

We also went to Mathinna Falls

IMG_5076-mathinna falls

During our travels we also went to Wineglass Bay – Lorraine enjoyed the walk.

IMG_5015-wineglass bay

Very nice looking beach

IMG_5014-wineglass bay

Coming back down you get this view over Cole’s Bay

IMG_5020-coles bay

You go past Cole’s Bay to get there.

IMG_4997-coles bay

Oyster Bay is also very pretty – you do not have to be very smart to work out why it has the name.

IMG_4993-oyster bay

Another day we went to St Helen’s and Bay of Fires

IMG_5032bay of fires

Had to go past Denison Beach – another good paddling spot.  This is looking towards Bicheno.

IMG_4983-denison beach

This Bakery has the best pies.  Chicken and Thai are a must.


Is this why we came to St Mary’s for the weekend – or the pump decided not to pick up the water for  Lorraine to have a shower.

Friday 29 – 30 March

A map gives you an idea of where we went – top dot is Little Musselroe Bay.  Next dot down is Legerwood.  Next down is Pyengana.  Bottom dot is St Mary’s.


St Mary’s is a nice free camp with $2 showers and no more to pay.  Out from Bicheno.  Good outlook over the golf course. few steps to watch the footy and the trotters being trained.  Watched the golfers on Good Friday and made use of the Kindle’s.

IMG_5098-st marys

Off on Saturday to Little Musselroe Bay.

IMG_5108-ltl musselroe

A lot has changed since I was there in 2004.  Permanent sand bar and shack.

IMG_5107-ltl musselroe shacks

Even a few Cape Barren Geese were playing around the wind turbines.


Next off to Legerwood to see some wood carvings, out of dead trees and with a chainsaw.

IMG_5142-legerwood anzac

They are all tributes to locals that died in the World War 1.


Then off to the Pub in the Paddock.  This is at Pyengana


The pub has a resident Pig – as do all pubs


This one is real.


Up the road we came across some cows.


They really are contented as they are given a back scratch if wanted after milking.


They provide the milk for the Pyengana Dairy Company – great Garlic Cheddar.

Sorry it will probably be gone by the 7 April

Monday 2 – 3 April

On Monday it was off to the height of St Mary’s – the Two Sisters.  Up the hill we went and had to engage 4 wheel drive to reach the summit.  The view was quite good but I had to go past the “Authorized Access Only” sign to get some better pictures.  I did not go all the way to the top as there were too many antenna’s up there.  Thought I might glow in the dark.

St Mary’s is in the bottom right hand corner.


Scamander is better seen in this shot.  On the right hand sight.


So after enjoying the hospitality of the St Mary’s town for 5 night it was back off to Somerset.


Tuesday it was off to Savage River – The concentrate slurry from the concentrator is pumped 83km through a 229 millimetre internal diameter slurry pipeline to the pellet plant at Port Latta – transportation time is approximately 14 hours.

First you see what looks like a lake


But it really is a pit

IMG_5198-Savage River

Then off to Corinna which is on the Pieman river. Originally a gold mine which closed down in 1919.  Turned into a wilderness retreat.

IMG_5211-pieman river2

You have to pay the ferry man – not free. Plus your wheelbase has to be less than 9 metres.

IMG_5216-barge sign

This is the view from the roadway.

IMG_5205-pieman river

This is typical of a crossing.

IMG_5217-barge crossing

We are now back in Somerset Caravan Park

Friday 5 April

Well the good times are coming to an end.  We left Somerset Beachside Caravan Park, or should I say the Two Oaks Cafe after the last coffee and cake.  Went to East Devonport and arrived around midday.  Parked overlooking the beach and worked out the direction the ferry would be heading.  In the following photo from center of bottom to top.


Then it was off for a walk for our daily exercise to find the Spirit for our return trip.  The people of Tasmania tried to trick us.  Not the Spirit of Tasmania but the Spirit of Devonport.  A lot smaller and no cars can be carried.  Painted in the same colors.


Just around the corner we found the real Spirit of Tasmania.  The cars and caravans go up the ramp to enter so that when it arrives in Melbourne you drive straight off and on your way home.


We disembarked at 7:00 am and tried to get out of Melbourne.

Set the GPS for home and ended up back at the wharf.  Maybe the car wanted to go back ??  Set off again and actually got out of Melbourne.  We had decided to stop at 2:30.   However this turned out to be Tintinara.  We had stopped a couple of times already to stretch the legs.  So close to home.  With home only a couple of hours away.  Was still going to be day light to get the van in and the driver was feeling great.  Off we went and was opening the front door at 5:50  PM


As they say ” All good things must come to an end”

However we have already decided we must return to Tasmania.

The End of the Road


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s